Skip to main content

A New Normal: Our Shots in Life

              His blue eyes seemed to sparkle as he smiled at me, exposing his teeth that had begun to cut through his gums before he rams his toy into his mouth. As I look into his eyes, I see my reflection as if I was looking into a clear blue lake. I stroke his head, reminding myself that this was good and that it was ok if it hurt.

The nurse takes out some needles and gloves before saying, “Ok, I just need to make sure that he is laying down. The shots will be in his legs.” With that, I lay my son back. All the while, he continues smiling, looking up at me—I am his familiar. I am the one he counts on. I am the one that can help him when he is scared. He trusts me.

              The nurse snaps her gloves onto her hands, then takes out the needles. She already has the band aids ready. “This will just be really quick,” she says before placing one needle into my son’s chubby thigh.

              As she does so, I watch his eyes. At first, they widen, shocked and unsure about what is happening. But just as quickly, I can see the dots click in his mind- “That hurts,” his eyes seem to say. He shuts his eyes tight and let out a cry that breaks my heart as the nurse continues with the second shot, then the third, then the fourth. Once done, she takes the band aids and place them over the spots where the shots were given, trying to soothe the baby as she does so. Once she’s done, I pick up my baby, bouncing and patting him as he continues to cry. He buries his face into my neck.  
          
              “Take all the time you need,” the nurse says as she packs up her belongings. “Nobody will be here for a little while, so don’t feel like you need to rush out if you want to hold him for a little bit.” I thank her, and she goes out the door, leaving us alone.

              His cries become little whimpers, and his little hands grab my shirt. I continue to say, “It’s ok, Baby, it’s ok. You can cry. I know it hurts.” As I do so, he lifts his head and looks straight at me, tears sneaking out of the corners of his eyes, and I see a look of such sadness, almost betrayal. He continues to whimper and look at me, as if to say, “Why did you let her do that, Mommy? Why did you let me hurt?”

              And my heart breaks for him. I hold him close and let him cry until the whimpers become a slow breathing and he is pacified. I kiss his cheek and place him in his car seat, ready to leave and move on with our day.

              In the car, the rumble of the drive soothes him to sleep. I think to myself how I have faith that those shots will benefit him and help him from becoming too sick. I allowed him to experience some pain with the faith that they will benefit his future.

              As a parent, I am grateful that God allows us to get even a peephole glimpse of what Godhood must be like—to create a little human who is a little bit of you, to love that little human with every fiber of your being, to want the best for them. You watch that child every milestone, from their first smile to their first laugh, to their first step to their first fall. You cheer them along the way, clapping and smiling when they accomplish something good, and you mourn with them when they are sad, holding them and soothing them until they are better. Their happiness is your happiness, their sadness is your sadness, and their joy is their joy.

              I think back on when the hardest things happened in my life- when my parents and brothers passed away, when I felt alone, when I felt like I could not move on. I remember those moments when I thought, “Why did you let this happen? Why do you let me hurt?”

I see a parallelism. When God allows hard things to happen, it’s so easy for me to think He has forgotten me or abandoned me. It’s so easy for me to assume that perhaps I did something that deserved that pain. But what if it’s not so?

              What if it’s because He knows that pain, that “shot,” is going to benefit me, or prepare me for the future? Like a medical shot, in the eternal spectrum of things, they are but “for a small moment,” and “if [we] endure well, God will exhalt [us] on high…” (D&C 121:7-8).

              When our “shots in life” happen, I hope to remember that He is there, watching over me. He is the shoulder I can cry on when I hurt. I hope to remember that He does it for my good. 

Comments

  1. I have just heard your story, discovered your blog, and am so grateful for your honesty, insights, perspectives, and willingness to share. I know you are busy now, but I look forward to reading any new posts (and will keep reading old ones). - Colleen, the Booklady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Você foi muito forte,se fosse comigo não sei se iria suportar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this. I just heard your story and found your blog and this post spoke to me.

    I particularly liked this idea, that we look up at God, almost feeling betrayed, and ask "Why did you let me hurt?" and we learn that He does it for our good.

    Thanks for sharing your story and light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing I want to talk to you is thank you. Your posts help me open my mind. I find them very interesting. They ease me in the hard time. Thanks for sharing your articles.


    gogy games unblocked
    play game friv
    1 player games unblocked at school

    ReplyDelete
  5. miniclip games for free,
    a10 games 2019,
    Jogo para criança

    Most of the time I don’t make comments on websites, but I'd like to say that this article really forced me to do so. Really nice post! . A great website with interesting and unique material what else would you need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for any other fantastic article. Where else could anybody get that kind of information in such a perfect means of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such information.
    jogos io
    friv 2019
    2player games

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A New Normal

Life is unfigureoutable. One minute, it's going one way. And then the next, your life is forever changed. My name is Jensen Parrish. And my life has been changed. I was a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, serving in the Washington, Vancouver Mission, speaking American Sign Language. I had been out for a year. My brother, Ian Parrish, was also a missionary for the church, serving in the South Dakota, Rapid City Mission. Our missions meant EVERYTHING to us. The growth that we developed there has truly changed our lives. The principles that we taught became firmly rooted in us. Little did we know, that our testimonies of those very principles would be put to the test, in the most unexpected way. On February 23, 2014, just three days after my year mark of being a missionary, I received the news from my mission president and his dear wife, that my mother, my father, and 2 younger brothers had peacefully passed on from this life into the next. The ca

Little bit of Chaos

My home is a disaster. (Mom would not be happy with me right now...) Letters, cards and packages from a variety of caring people, wanting to do anything that they can to help. A basketball signed by the BYU Provo basketball team. Things that have been gathered, sitting in the living room, waiting for voyage to D.I. Things that I want to save. Chocolates. Clothes. Chaos. A little bit how I feel about life. These past two weeks have been the slowest and yet the fastest that I've ever experienced in my life. There are 5 steps in the grief: Denial Anger Bargaining Depression Acceptance Simple. Yet complicated. Or, my favorite word... Unfigureoutable. Why? Because we all grieve differently. Some people take control of the situation. Some people handle things well. If you're like me, you go on "shut-down, don't talk to me" mode. Which may not be the best way to handle a funeral. Because I wanted nothing more than to just run away from the world and hide.

The Newest of "Normals"

I remember that night as if it were yesterday. I remember that the living room light in the apartment was off, but the kitchen light was on. I remember I was wearing an old EFY T-shirt with pink cotton pajama bottoms. I remember that whole day was a good one, a great one even- we had had dinner with an amazing family and had a great spiritual lesson. We were on a spiritual high from the day, excited and ready for our break the next day, excited to be able to check our emails, excited to talk to our families. I remember kneeling next to my bed, saying my night prayers. I remember saying, “Please bless Mom, Dad, Keegan and Liam at home. I’m grateful to be able to talk to them tomorrow.” I remember the knock at the door right at the end of my prayer. Confusion seemed to buzz throughout the apartment as the six of us girls poked our heads out of rooms, wondering, “Who is knocking at 10:30 at night?” I remember seeing my mission president and his wife, their faces sad, scared,